Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ordination


So, I am finally ordained!

It has taken me over 1/3 of my life to get to this point. After you add in all the years of education and probationary time it has been about 11 years. Has it been worth it? YES. The whole process has affirmed that I am called to the ministry of an ordained elder in the UMC.

This past weekend we had our Annual Conference. On Friday night we celebrated Ordination at Hendricks Chapel, Syracuse University. It was a beautiful service filled with emotion. Bishop Violet Fisher ordained the last class of ordinands before retirement and her message was uplifting, encouraging and challenging. Her sermon title was, "Called, Anointed, Appointed".


I also had about 60 friends, family members, and parishioners attend the service. And of course many of the clergy from our AC were there. I was awesome to be surrounded by so many people who have cared for and supported me with prayers and encouragement on my journey. Three of my dear friends from seminary (and their children) drove all the way from OH to be with me. It also meant so much to me that the choir members from both church sang in the joint choir with my choir director directing. They sang In the Midst of new Dimensions. I also had two very special clergy women colleagues/mentors stand up with me as my sponsors. They also presented me with a beautiful stole that was hand made by one's sister. I loved it!



The whole evening was wonderful. I certainly felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. As I came forward, I kneeled and hands were layed on me and the Bishop said "Richelle Marie Duchano, take thou authority as an elder to preach the Word of God, and to administer the Holy Sacraments in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen". What an awesome responsibility to have placed upon my life. Then, the stole was placed upon my neck symbolizing the yoke of Christ and the yoke of service. I truly felt the presence of the Spirit upon me and to have this call that God has placed upon my life affirmed and celebrated was a powerful experience. It was also emotional as I was deeply moved several times throughout the evening. I am thankful for everyone who has helped me get to this place, for those who will continue to walk this journey with me, and for the new ones who will walk with me. Most of all, I am thankful to God for calling me and providing me with the grace to respond.

No comments: